I expect this is an old recipe, but I've altered it slightly to make small batches, so I could make lots of colours. This makes a 1 cup batch. If you want to make scented dough, try essential oils like vanilla, lavender, or mint. The glitter is just for fun!
2/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp veg. oil
2-3 drops essential oil (optional)
1/2 tsp glitter (optional)
- Put the water in a small pot, then add your food colouring. If you have liquid colouring, you will need at least 8 drops, depending on how vibrant you want the colour. With the gel food colouring you need less. I used about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of gel colouring for mine.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients in order, except glitter. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Place on medium heat, and stir constantly with a spoon. The dough will start to congeal almost immediately. Continue stirring until the dough forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the pot.
- Dump the dough out onto the counter, and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Then knead until smooth - at this point you can add the glitter. Just pat the dough into a flat circle, sprinkle the glitter on top, then knead it into the dough.
- Store the dough in an air-tight container. In the fridge it will keep for months.
- Next, make more colours! I made 4 batches in under an hour, so it's easy to make lots in one nap-time.