Thursday, November 1, 2012

dragon with a wee knight and princess

Last Spring, a friend generously gave me the brilliant idea to design a dinosaur. That idea kicked around in my head for a while, and a few months later I drew up a sketch of how I wanted it to look. In the sketch I included a variation for a dragon, and that thought was so inspiring I went out and bought yarn before the end of the week! I found the perfect yarn: brilliant colours, soft to the touch, with just a little sparkle. Within a few days I had the body all knit, and was eager to start on the rest... but then the heat of summer set in. By the end of a busy day playing with the kids, I just wasn't interested in picking up something woolly and using my brain.

We got home from visiting family at the beginning of September, and as soon as the kids were off at preschool, I started working again after a much-longer-than-expected break. I decided to go with a simple pattern to ease myself back in. The Baby Orangutan was something I'd worked on a long time ago, and just needed a few adjustments and an accessory to finish it up. While I was happy with it, I wanted more of a challenge for my next design.

I had a brilliant idea one day during a yoga class (yes, my mind was wandering, but you can't always help that)! I enlisted a friend's help with smoothing out the design and picking colours, found some yarn to knit a sample, and eagerly picked up my knitting needles... Only to fizzle out after a week, when I realized I'd messed up the first part and would have to pull it all out.

At this point I felt a little lost, so I asked my friends which idea they would choose, of the 3 I felt like working on. The vote was unanimous for the dragon. Feeling renewed inspiration for the toy, I set to work again. It came together so quickly - just a few adjustments to the legs, 3-4 versions of the head, and maybe as many for the tail... Anyway! I soon had a design I was very happy with, and then had a brilliant idea for the accessory.  A week or so of furious knitting, next to a sick little boy, and everything was done. My cousin kindly offered to test knit the pattern for me, and had it done in just a few days (she's amazing. I don't know how she got it done so quick, when she's also a graduate student!)

I took some photos, my husband worked his usual magic with the ever-temperamental publishing software, and, "Ta da!"

So, much sooner than I planned, and with a very happy heart, here are the Dragon and his wee friends. Find it on Ravelry or Craftsy. Knit some cuteness!

7 comments:

Yarn Miracle said...

Hah! I didn't notice his marshmallow before!

Julie said...

Very very cute. Congratulations. Your props are quite outstanding.

Karine said...

Love it!

Sqquee said...

OHMYGOSH I love it...My daughter has several birthday parties to attend in the next month and I know I am making this for gifts!

Tabatha said...

This is wonderful! All three of them! Great Job!!

Corina said...

Lovely dragon!

Solambe said...

A-dorable!!!